MD Explorer Agenda
- MD Explorer Overview
- Mission Operations (Optional Equipment for Dedicated Missions)
- Law Enforcement
- Life Cycle Support
- Contract Logistics Support
- Enhancement Cycles
- Overview Video
Technology: How It Works
The NOTAR® system consists of an enclosed articulated fan driven by the main transmission, a circulation control tail boom, direct-jet thruster, and vertical stabilizers.
Low pressure air, forced through two slots on the tail boom, causes the main rotor downwash to “hug” the contour of the boom, creating lateral lift that counteracts main rotor torque.
- FACTà 21 percent of all incidents or accidents are due to tail rotor strikes or loss of tail rotor effectiveness
- NOTAR® Eliminates these Problems
- Twice as quiet as any other helicopter
Lessened Pilot Workload
- Uses the Coanda Effect to provide tailboom lift and anti-torque
- Improved stability and controllability
- Reduced sensitivity to wind direction on helicopter control
Diminished Aircraft Vibration
- Increased passenger comfort
- Decrease pilot fatigue
- Reduced stress on components and airframe
The MD Explorer is equipped with twin PWC 207E engines with:
- Integrated diagnostics system
- Integrated water wash system
- Integrated fire detection/ suppression system with cockpit detection/operation
- Inlet barrier filters for inlet protection
- Integrated engine and gearbox EICAS
- Independent engine drive to main rotor transmission
Universal Avionics Glass Cockpit
- 2 or 3, 10.4” landscape high-resolution LCD displays
- “Point and click” display control using collective-mounted Cursor Control Device
- Electronic Control Display Unit (ECDU) for secondary display control and supports growth for utility functions (SSPD)
- Remote Data Concentrator Unit (DCU) for analog I/O and non-critical functions
- Dual Data Acquisition Units for engine data and EICAS functions
- Helitune Balance and Monitoring System with HUMS Option
- Reference Set Panel for SPD / HDG / ASEL selections
- Secure Digital (SD) card for nav., chart and checklist databases
- Flight Data, Cockpit Voice, and Airborne Image recorders
- Becker Digital Audio System
- ADS-B Out/In, and FIS-B Options
- XM Wx with growth to Iridium Wx
Balance, Health & Usage Monitoring Systems
4-Axis Autopilot (AFCS)
Crew & Passenger Seating
|Maximum Cruise Speed*||135 kt||248 km/hr|
|Maximum Range, Standard Fuel*||293 nm||543 km|
|Maximum Endurance*||3.2 hrs|
|HOGE, ISA||10,400 ft||3,170 m|
|HOGE, ISA +20° C||7,000 ft||2,134 m|
|HIGE, ISA||12,200 ft||3,719 m|
|HIGE, ISA +20° C||9,000 ft||2,734 m|
Weights & Load Capacity
The MD Explorer is a pioneer in “Green” technology, producing a noise signature that is the lowest among all light twin-engine helicopters and lower than many smaller single-engine helicopters.
Low noise signature provides less warning for possible enemy to incoming threat, increasing safety for the flight crew.
|MDHI MD900 (Explorer)||85.6||9.1||83.3||10.4||89.6||6.1||8.5|
The optimal combination of performance, capacity and low operating costs to support any mission.
SWAT Equipment Package
Transportation with executive level performance and style.
Cabin seating for up to six passengers with dedicated baggage compartment
The premier choice of emergency medical services around the globe, providing unmatched versatility and proven reliability.
Law Enforcement Operations
The most prolific helicopters in service with European law enforcement agencies.
- MD Helicopters has the capability to:
- Train from beginner to Instructor Pilots the MD product line to fully utilize aircraft capability (Includes tactical training)
- Train local technicians to offer in-country support to
- Extend the life of the aircraft
- Increase operational readiness
- And lower the cost of aircraft ownership
Contract Logistics Support
- Customer will have the option of exercising MDHI CLS services.
- MDHI CLS Supports the Entire Operation Sustainment Requirement.
- MD Provides Skilled Technicians, Supplies & Engineering Support.
- MDHI has the capability to develop entire infrastructure from the ground-up to support the maintenance of our aircraft.
- Combat Proven U.S. Army / Afghan Air Force CLS Contract (4+years)
- Sustained Fleet Availability >97%
MDHI maintains constant enhancement cycles to improve the MD Explorer to ensure that it is modern and will meet future customer needs.
- Reactive plasma displays with projected LCD image
- Updated look to traditional HUDs
- One-piece glass cockpit potential (vs Multi display)
- Multi-touch touchscreens
- Synthetic/Enhanced Vision
- Wearable augmented reality:
- Heads-up / Close-to-Eye displays
- Temporal and geospatial context sensitivity
- Other Potential Technologies:
- Voice Recognition
- iPad / Android solutions with Wireless Data Updates
- Wireless Avionics
- Fully connected aircraft / Cloud Computing
- Internet of Things & M2M Communication
- All technologies will address NVIS compatibility
- Engine Parameters
- Cargo Loads
- Navigation Information
- Targeting & Stores Management
- Primary Flight Displays
MD Explorer Summary
Versatile: Proven performance serving a variety of mission sets (Police, EMS, Search and Rescue, VIP, Utility)
Flexible: Successful operation for nearly two decades in multiple operational &interior configurations
Safe: Proprietary NOTAR® System delivers quieter, smoother, safer operation in confined areas
Proven: Lowest operating costs and superior hot performance and range versus any other light twin
Preferred: Pilot’s and mechanic’s choice for ease of use & maintenance